Aquaculture is the farming and husbandry of aquatic organisms. Carteret Community College aims to introduce and encourage aquaculture in the region and state as an innovative, practical and economically viable science of applied marine sciences:
- By combining curriculum courses with hands-on practical training in applied marine biology
- By supporting the development of aquaculture business and research
- By partnering with other institutions to foster the growth of aquaculture
Topics of Discussion:
- Farming includes propagation, spawning, culturing of juveniles and production of marketable products.
- Husbandry includes handling and caring for the organisms during all or a portion of their life cycle.
- Educational pathways to an aquaculture career.
Career choices will be discussed for both aspects of the aquaculture program discussed and extensive footage of the hands-on techniques and training future workers receive will be shown.